Falling Film Evaporator
Shachi Engineering is one of the top manufacturers of falling film evaporator in India. We are a two decades-old company with a long experience in manufacturing a wide range of drying and evaporation solutions. Our experience endows us with strong process expertise and enables us to deliver products of world class quality.
Falling film evaporator is an important equipment used in many industries for concentrating solutions, separating components, and recovering solvents. Here are some of the key reasons why a falling film evaporator is important.
Benefits of Falling Film Evaporator:
- High Efficiency: Designed to operate with a very high heat transfer rate, allowing for the evaporation of large quantities of solvent or water in a short amount of time. This makes them highly efficient for industrial applications, as they can save time and energy compared to other methods.
- Reduced Fouling: Create a thin film of liquid on the heat transfer surface, which minimizes the chance of fouling or scaling. This helps to maintain the heat transfer rate and prevent downtime due to cleaning or maintenance.
- Versatile: Can be used for a wide range of applications, including concentrating solutions, separating components, and recovering solvents. They can be designed to handle different types of liquids, temperatures, and pressures, making them a versatile piece of equipment for many industries.
- Cost-effective: They are often less expensive than other types of evaporators, such as forced circulation evaporators or flash evaporators. This makes them a cost-effective choice for many industrial applications.
- Environmentally friendly: Can be designed to operate at low temperatures and pressures, reducing energy consumption and minimizing the environmental impact. Additionally, they can be used to recover solvents or other valuable components, reducing waste and saving resources.
Applications of Falling Film Evaporator:
Falling film evaporator is used in a variety of industries for the concentration or separation of solutions, suspensions, and emulsions. Some of the common applications of falling film evaporators include:
- Chemical industry: Used to concentrate and purify chemicals such as solvents, acids, and bases.
- Food industry: Used to concentrate fruit juices, milk, and other food products.
- Pharmaceutical industry: Used to concentrate and purify active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and other pharmaceutical products.
- Petrochemical industry: Used to refine crude oil and other petrochemicals.
- Wastewater treatment: Used to remove water from wastewater and concentrate the solids for disposal.
- Desalination: It finds application in desalination plants to remove salt from seawater and produce fresh water.
- Renewable energy: Falling film evaporators are used to concentrate the feedstock for biofuel production.
Falling Film Evaporator Principle:
Falling film evaporator is a type of heat transfer device used to concentrate a liquid solution by evaporating its solvent. The working principle of a falling film evaporator is based on the formation of a thin liquid film that flows down a vertical tube, and the heat is transferred from the tube wall to the liquid film, causing the solvent to evaporate.
The process begins with the liquid solution being fed into the top of the evaporator, where it enters a distributor that spreads the liquid evenly across the top of the vertical tubes. As the liquid flows down the tubes, it forms a thin film due to gravity, and the heat is transferred to the liquid film through the tube wall.
The heat causes the solvent in the liquid film to evaporate, leaving behind a more concentrated solution. The vapor produced from the evaporated solvent rises up the center of the tube and is collected in a vapor separator. The concentrated liquid at the bottom of the tubes is then collected and either sent to storage or further processing. The thin liquid film is continuously replenished from the distributor at the top of the tubes, and the process continues until the desired concentration is achieved.
Falling film evaporator is highly efficient due to the large surface area provided by the thin liquid film and the high heat transfer coefficient between the tube wall and the liquid film. They are commonly used in the food, chemical, and pharmaceutical industries for the concentration of liquids such as fruit juices, dairy products, and organic solvents.